Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wednesday

Today we woke up and headed over to Oasis again. We helped wash the kids feet, and played with the kids. I wasn’t able to teach English today (but hopefully tomorrow). After Oasis we headed into town to meet Allison’s friends, Ben and Christine. We had lunch with them and then they took us to the secondary school they run called Gilgal. Gilgal is a school where students attend (as well as board) and the students pay whatever they can.

The students at Gilgal asked us a ton of questions. It was so funny because they were sophisticated questions like, “What has President Obama done to improve your economy?” “What is the life expectancy in America?” and “How does the climate and environment in America compare to that in Kenya?” Umm...hmmm??? These kids are incredibly smart, and spoke beautiful English.

Tomorrow we will have been in Kitale for one week. It feels longer. One of my favorite things thus far is how warm and comfortable the culture is here. We receive such a warm welcome everywhere we go. Total strangers smile at us and say “Habati?” (How are you?) all the time.

Today as we were driving home from Gilgal our taxi broke down. We had to get out while we waited for another one and literally 15-20 little kids surrounded us saying, “How are you?” A lot of the kids were touching my arms and hands. It’s weird to get attention solely based on my skin color for the first time in my life. They were all smiles and I enjoyed trying to make them laugh.


This is a picture of all the students at Gilgal listening to us answer their questions...

Here's me attempting to answer their question...I was honestly self-conscious that they would notice my grammatical errors! Smart kids!

0 comments:

Post a Comment