Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Habari-How are you?

I woke up today in the best mood! I feel so much better today (cold wise) than I’ve felt all week, and I’m excited to start the day. We are just about to leave to head out to Oasis but I figured I’d try and post a few things. Today I read Psalm 143:10 “Teach me to do what you want, because you are my God. Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.” I love this verse, and this is my prayer for my time here in Kitale.

Two days ago we went to Sister Freda and Richard Robinson’s health clinic. We walked around their beautiful property and then shared lunch with them. It was great to meet them because I have heard so many wonderful things about them for years. Sister Freda gave me some medicine because I was feeling pretty sick that day…but thankfully it worked☺

On our walk, I carried an adorable little girl, Dot. Dot is 5 years old but she was so malnourished as a baby that her growth was stunted. She is oh-so-cute!

After lunch it started pouring. It may have been the hardest downpour I’ve ever witnessed. It was beautiful.

Yesterday, we headed over to Oasis. I was able to help Leyla teach again (yay!...I loved it). I taught the days of the week, which maybe half the class already knew. I also made the mistake of trying to teach the children the different seasons. But, I soon learned that they don’t acknowledge 4 seasons like the U.S. does; they only have the dry season and rainy season. My bad! It’s difficult because the class seems to be at all different levels. But I’m looking forward to figuring out new techniques that are most effective.

Leyla lives in the other house on the compound with us. Leyla is Jeffery’s (from Oasis of Hope) sister-in-law. We’ve been eating dinner and spending a lot of time with her and Emanuel (who also lives in the other house on the compound). Emanuel is from Rwanda and is trying to learn English so he sits in on Leyla’s English class.

Okay we are leaving now…more to come later!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Psalm 143:10 is such a great verse. I am so glad that you are feeling God's love. Keep allowing God to lead you. The 4 seasons story is so funny, it's one of the many differences I am sure you'll find being in a different country. I love you so much and am so overjoyed that you are having a great experience serving the people of Kenya.

Post a Comment