Sunday, November 8, 2009

November 8

On Friday night we went over to the boy's house (House 3) and just hung out. Allison and I helped Anthony prepare dinner while the boys played Uno, danced and took a ton of pictures in their new sunglasses and hat:) It's been so great just going over to their home and spending time with them.
House 3 pics...

Allison giving Ovi a "zerbert" (Her word not mine)
Isaiah and me
Allison & I. This is my first time firing chipati. I burnt my ankle from hot
oil splattering, my fingertips were super sore by the end of the night, but it
all helped in contributing to my sense of accomplishment
Here is Juliet (from Rwanda & who also lives on our compound), Anthony
(who watches over the Boys at House 3) and Dan our favorite taxi driver
Kamau
Isaiah
Wiki
Ovi
Jon


On Friday morning/afternoon we went with all the Oasis kids to "The Show." "The Show" is sort of like the OC Fair, but with only 3 rides, A TON of agriculture, and a camel ride instead of an elephant.

Pics from "The Show"
Jordan, Allison and me

Joel & Collins (Collins is one of the boys in class)
Etau and Joel (I think the tallest & shortest of Oasis)
Emanuel & Kamua
Sisters-Jennifer & Ester
Sarah, me, and Rael (Sarah is also in my class...I just love her)
Sisters-Ajix and Lucy
Jennifer in front, Simon on the left, Wendy, Joanne, and Celine (and Ellie behind her)
Best agriculture at the show
Me and Sarah


The following pics are misc. that I just want to share...

Lucy and Ester
Me & Steward (holding a stick that Jeffery gave me & I've carried in my backpack for the past 3 weeks...the stick has gone missing & I joking told the boys that there is a $ reward if its found)
This is the road we walk down everyday to and from Oasis...isn't it just so beautiful? Allison took this pic while Jordan and I are racing some kids from Oasis down the street
Clockwise-Me, Cleophas (our night guard...who is SO happy & cheery all the time), Jordan, Emanuel, Hannah and Juliet. Here we are waiting for Dan to pick us up. It's raining outside so 7 of us (Allison is taking the pic) all crammed in this little guard house...about 3 ft x 3 ft in size. At one point, I rapped Fergie while everyone danced. Right now there is this dance club at "The Show" called "Omega 1" (the music is so loud the entire town can hear it and it goes on till about 6 am! ) Allison called our dance party "Omega 2!"

Allison, me and Cleophas
Cleophas in my favorite outfit of his! I just laughed out loud
for like the tenth time looking at this picture

Below are some pics of the 7 boys who attend & sleep at Oasis of Hope. The center just bought them little mattresses this past week. We had dinner with them on Thursday night at Oasis. That night really affected me. We walked into the classroom I teach in everyday to see 7 beds set up. I was so stunned. I knew they stayed at Oasis but I guess I didn't really think through the reality of it. And to think, just 2 days prior they were sleeping right on the concrete floor really just made me so sad. But the boys are wonderful and funny and we had a great time! They gave Jordan, Allison and me nicknames. Jordan is Moses, Allison is the virgin Mary, and I am Princess (hmm...not sure why they have Biblical names and I don't...) Jeffery has called me Princess all week...you are more than welcome to do the same...haha...I just made myself laugh out loud again.

Pics of Oasis of Hope Boys...
The boys getting their mattresses for the first time

Michael carrying his new mattress and me. Michael is also in my class.


Here is a pic of our dinner (french fries and chicken) and sodas taken in my classroom.
P.I.G. (Stands for Peter is Great), Emanuel, Etau, and Ero
Me, Michael, and Paul

Charles, Jackson, and Emanuel

On Thursday we went to a prayer meeting at Kitale Forest for the 8th grade boys who will soon be taking their KCPE test. It was so fun because we were able to watch the boys from House 2 perform a dance! Then we had lunch with the 8th grade class. I said I felt like a proud mother with how many pictures I was taking of the boys that afternoon.

I know this is tiny, BUT I had to include this pic of me and the entire
graduating 8th grade class at Kitale Forest.
Allison, Steward, and me
Here are the boys dancing...So funny...Moses started teaching me the dance last week...I'm terrible at it, but it consisted of a lot of laughing...so it was worth it
Okay...so these two boys (complete strangers) came up to me (Princess) at Kitale Forest and asked to take a picture with me. I felt famous and awesome for a brief moment!

Paul, Jose, Pato, Steward, me, and Moses

1 comments:

Julian kiture said...

how old was the lady in the firs picture?

Post a Comment